A recent Kennel Club survey found:
- Nearly one in five puppy buyers think they may have bought from a puppy farm.
- One in three could not spot if they were buying from a rogue breeder.
- Over a quarter of people don’t see the puppy in its actual breeding environment and amongst these 4 per cent had their pup delivered to their door.
- One in five either don’t see the puppy with its mum, or see it with a dog that they suspect was not the real mum
- 8 per cent pay for their puppy before they have even seen it.
- Almost one in five (18 per cent) who buy online, without seeing it first, has a pup that gets sick or dies in their first year.
Here is the Kennel Club’s advice: