With Bonfire Night coming up, the Kennel Club is warning pet owners to be extra vigilant following statistics that show that 71% of owners’ details on microchipping databases are inaccurate. Around 40% of dogs are scared by fireworks so there are increased risks of dogs being frightened and running off at this time of year.
The Kennel Club also says it is a good time of year to ensure that your dog’s microchip details are up to date. By registering with Petlog owners can be reassured that their money is put back into rescue and welfare organisations which are being supported by the provision of free services to help the rehoming process.
Tips for Bonfire Night:
- Acclimatise your dog to noises prior to the big night. – (use a noises audio CD unless your dog is already severely noise-phobic)
- Distract your dog by having a TV or radio on
- Act as normal; keep calm, otherwise your dog will pick up on your behaviour
- Comfort your dog if he/she is scared; ignoring them will only make things worse
- Consult your vet about giving medication to help your dog cope better
For more tips, read the KC’s press release.