Buying a puppy is a major commitment which both you and the breeder will want to ensure is likely to succeed.
Here are some questions you might wish to ask the breeder and some that they will want to ask you…
Ask the breeder:
- How long have you been a Dachshund owner?
- How long have you been breeding Dachshunds?
- How many litters do you typically have each year?
- Which Breed Clubs do you belong to?
- Which Shows do you typically exhibit at, or other activities do you participate in?
- What successes have you had when showing, working or training your Dachshunds?
- What are the positive traits of this breed?
- What are the negative traits of this breed?
- What health problems does the breed suffer?
- What is their average life expectancy?
- What endorsements, if any, do you put on the puppy’s KC papers?
- What should we do if we ever need to re-home a dog we have bought from you?
- What written information on diet and rearing do you provide?
- What inoculations, if any, will the puppy have had when we get it?
- Have the parents or puppies been tested for known hereditary problems?
- What insurance cover, if any, do you provide with the puppy?
- How many of these puppies will you be keeping yourself?
- Will you be showing any of this litter?
- How much grooming do they need?
- How much exercise do your dogs get and how much will my puppy need?
Their answers to these questions should give you a good idea what type of breeder you are buying from.
Expect the breeder to ask you:
- Are you out at work all day?
- If you work part-time, how long will the dog be left alone?
- Have you had a Dachshund before?
- What other dogs do you have, if any?
- What other pets, if any, do you have?
- If you have children, how old are they?
- Do you have a garden?
- Is your garden well-fenced?
- Do you live in a flat, or a house?
- Do you live in the town, or country?
- Why do you want a Dachshund?
- Do you intend to show your Dachshund?
- Do you intend to breed from your Dachshund?