Code of Ethics
Below is the mandatory Code of Ethics that all Dachshunds Clubs have adopted in agreement with the Kennel Club (updated 2015).
Click here for further guidance for Breed Club members regarding the Code of Ethics.
All breeders who register their puppies, and new owners who register ownership of their dogs with the Kennel Club, accept the jurisdiction of the Kennel Club and undertake to abide by its general Code of Ethics.
- Will properly house, feed, water and exercise all dogs under their care and arrange for appropriate veterinary attention if and when required.
- Will agree without reservation that any veterinary surgeon performing an operation on any of their dogs which alters the natural conformation of the animal, or who carries out a caesarean section on a bitch, may report such operation to the Kennel Club.
- Will agree that no healthy puppy will be culled. Puppies which may not conform to the Breed Standard should be placed in suitable homes.
- Will abide by all aspects of the Animal Welfare Act.
- Will not create demand for, nor supply, puppies that have been docked illegally.
- Will agree not to breed from a dog or bitch which could be in any way harmful to the dog or to the breed.
- Will not allow any of their dogs to roam at large or to cause a nuisance to neighbours or those carrying out official duties.
- Will ensure that their dogs wear properly tagged collars and will be kept leashed or under effective control when away from home.
- Will clean up after their dogs in public places or anywhere their dogs are being exhibited.
- Will only sell dogs where there is a reasonable expectation of a happy and healthy life and will help with the re-homing of a dog if the initial circumstances change.
- Will supply written details of all dietary requirements and give guidance concerning responsible ownership when placing dogs in a new home.
- Will ensure that all relevant Kennel Club documents are provided to the new owner when selling or transferring a dog, and will agree, in writing, to forward any relevant documents at the earliest opportunity, if not immediately available.
- Will not sell any dog to commercial dog wholesalers, retail pet dealers or directly or indirectly allow dogs to be given as a prize or donation in a competition of any kind. Will not sell by sale or auction Kennel Club registration certificates as stand alone items (not accompanying a dog).
- Will not knowingly misrepresent the characteristics of the breed nor falsely advertise dogs nor mislead any person regarding the health or quality of a dog.
- Will provide a statement that the dog/puppy has been wormed and a suggested routine to follow.
- Will provide an insurance certificate covering veterinary fees for a minimum of four weeks from the date of purchase.
- Will discourage indiscriminate breeding, bearing in mind always the welfare of the bitch as a primary consideration and the long-term welfare of any puppies bred by me.
- Will take all reasonable steps to ensure that breeding stock is of good physical and genetic health, of acceptable temperament and fit for function (e.g. be able to see, breathe normally, be physically fit, and able to exercise freely).
- Will use all Health Scheme tests currently required or recommended for the KC Assured Breeder Scheme on all breeding stock.
- Will make responsible decisions in the light of Health Scheme test results to avoid producing clinically affected puppies and will follow any breeding advice issued under each scheme prior to breeding.
- Will not knowingly mate 2 dapples together.
- Will not allow any of my dogs to be used irresponsibly at stud…
(a) any bitch must have had KC required or recommended health tests (or be hereditary clear) and therefore any puppies produced will NOT be affected.
- Will not breed irresponsibly…
(a) from any bitch less than one year of age at the time of mating and only when she is considered mature enough to raise a litter of puppies.
(b) from any bitch who has already reached the age of 8 years at the date of whelping, save in exceptional circumstances and only provided application is made to the KC prior to the mating (supported by veterinary evidence as to the suitability of the bitch involved in the proposed whelping) and the proposed dam has previously whelped at least one other registered litter, and permission has been received.
(c) from any bitch who has whelped 4 litters.
(d) more than one litter in a twelve-month period per bitch (except with veterinary advice).
- Will not breed from a bitch who has had 2 caesarean sections (as this may indicate possible whelping difficulties).
- Will not import, export or exhibit any bitch who is more than 28 days in whelp.
- Will ensure that any dog or bitch exported by me is health tested using any tests which are “Required” or “Recommended” under the KC’s Assured Breeder Scheme prior to export and the test results are notified to the new owner(s).
- Will not let puppies go to their new homes before the age of 8 weeks and will comply with the legislation requiring them to be the first registered keeper of their puppies by microchipping them by 8 weeks.
- As a judge I will act with courtesy and integrity to all exhibitors, I will judge according to the standard of points and will consider as part of my decisions the temperament and physical condition of the dogs judged. In particular, exhibits which appear thin and undernourished should be seriously penalised.
- As an exhibitor I will enjoy and applaud other people’s success, be welcoming to newcomers and ensure as far as I am able that my dogs behave quietly at a show.
- No member shall use social media to make derogatory comments – direct or implied – about another member, the association or an official of the association. Such conduct may be considered incompatible with continued membership and may lead to the expulsion of that member.
Breach of these provisions may result in expulsion from club membership, and/or disciplinary action by the Kennel Club and/or reporting to the relevant authorities for legal action, as appropriate.
It is a condition of membership of the Club that, on payment of subscription, members agree to abide by the Rules & Regulations and take note and act in accordance with the Code of Ethics.